Walk South Luangwa
SMALL GROUP TOURS
8 day tour from £4,695pp
Why we love this tour
This is a multi-award winning mobile walking safari that has been long considered the best wilderness experience in South Luangwa. With 1 night at Nkwali, 5 days walking, and a final night at Tena Tena or Nsefu, this safari experience is unreal.
The Luangwa Valley, which marks the end of the Great Rift Valley, is one of the last unspoilt wilderness areas and possibly the finest wildlife sanctuary in Africa. It covers an area of over9000 sq. km. through which the meandering Luangwa River runs. The ox bow lagoons, woodland and plains of the valley host huge concentrations of game - including elephant, buffalo, leopard, lion, giraffe, hippo - and over 400 species of birds.
- Led by some of the best guides in the whole of Africa
- Luxury meru tents with en suite bathrooms provide a luxury experience in the bush, whilst luxury lodges at the beginning and end frame your journey in style
- Explore a different area every day as the camp is moved to a new and exciting area by the team of amazing camp staff who look after your every need on this glamping trip
- Experience a truly immersive roots of nature safari
Day 1 | Nkwali Camp
On arrival at Mfuwe International Airport a guide from Robin Pope Safaris will meet you and transfer you to Nkwali Camp which is a 1 hour drive through colourful local scenes of villages, agriculture as well as the bush. Depending on your arrival time, in the day you will enjoy a lunch or afternoon tea looking out over the lagoon to the back of Nkwali before departing on the afternoon and night game drive.
Days 2-6 | Mobile Camps
After an early breakfast on day 2, we will be heading north to start your walking mobile safari which has become known as THE wilderness experience of the South Luangwa. We arrive at camp that is all set up for our arrival in time for lunch, where we then enjoy a little siesta before a walk around the camp area later in the afternoon, returning for sundowners and dinner in the open under the stars! Each morning we rise early for a walk, and then for the majority of our time on safari the camp will be packed up and moved whilst we are out exploring, giving us ample opportunity to discover new areas and wildlife.
Days 7-8 | Tena Tena or Nsefu Camp
It's time to rest those weary legs!! After another early breakfast on day 7, we drive the 4-5 hours to the Luangwa River crossing point opposite Tena Tena where we take a boat across the river to the camp which lies within the National Park and enjoys a stunning location on a sweeping bend of the Luangwa River. Relax with a sumptuous lunch and a well deserved siesta before the afternoon and evening game drive on your last evening before being transferred back to Mfuwe International Airport on day 8 as the journey comes to an end. Note the last night may also be spent at Nsefu Camp.
- Starts: Mfuwe International Airport
- Ends: Mfuwe International Airport
- Dates: This tour operates Jun to Sep
- Group size: Min 2, Max 6
- Accommodation Type: luxury lodges to start and end, luxury en-suite meru tents whilst on mobile safari (5 nights)
- Age restrictions: 21+
- 7 nights accommodation (10 day option also available with 7 days walking)
- Fully inclusive of meals and drinks
- Airport transfers
- All safari activities as stated
- Services of a highly experienced guide
- Take Me To Africa goody bag
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Pre or post tour accommodation
- Gratuities and spending money
- Items of a personal nature