Desert & Dunes
14 day tour from £7,125pp
Why we love this tour
All the highlights of the popular road trip with the addition of the Palmwag Concession, and some short internal flights thrown in to reduce the travel time where the journey isn't enhanced by the road trip. For those with a higher budget and a little more time, this one is always a winner!
Namibia is a land of stunning landscapes, endless skies, barren deserts, rugged mountains and spectacular wildlife. This Exploration explores some of the most remote areas of this fascinating land; areas that have been rarely explored by others, making this a true journey of discovery. Like any trip to Namibia, the dunes of Sossusvlei are not to be missed and we therefore begin our journey here.
We continue to Swakopmund to take in the amazing marine life just offshore, then on to the secluded and dramatic coastline of the Skeleton Coast littered with historic remnants of shipwrecks and the rugged and rocky landscape of Palmwag where the last free-roaming black rhino rove.
- Explore the contrasting areas of Sossusvlei, Skeleton Coast, Palmwag Concession and Etosha
- The ultimate Skeleton Coast experience (subject to weather conditions) including remains of shipwrecks, Cape fur seal colonies and other desert-adapted wildlife
- Exceptionally varied and unique activities, including day and night, sea and land-based wildlife viewing, rhino tracking, and meeting the Damara people
Days 1-2 | Sossusvlei
From Windhoek we meet and drive west to explore the famous red dunes of Sossusvlei and our 37 000-hectare private reserve where you will discover life in one of the world’s oldest and most arid deserts.
Days 3-4 | Swakopmund
Departing from camp early we drive through the snaking roads of the Kuiseb Canyon and out onto the expansive gravel plains, arriving in Walvis Bay before moving north into the quaint town of Swakopmund. Discover the town of Swakopmund and bed down in an iconic hotel that forms part of city’s architectural culture. Enjoy a dolphin and seal cruise as we explore the ice-blue Atlantic coast from Walvis Bay.
Days 5-10 | Damaraland & Palmwag Concession
We continue our journey north by road partly up the legendary Skeleton Coast and then the back roads through the game productive Ugab riverbed, travelling north past the Brandberg Mountain to Damaraland. A land of stark beauty, the area boasts a varied assortment of desert-adapted wildlife and incredible geological formations. We go in search of desert-adapted elephants in the Huab riverbed, before heading north to the mountainous and rocky paradise of the massive Palmwag Concession,with its growing population of the rare desert-adapted black rhino. Finally we take a light aircraft to Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp, in a land of rugged scenery, famed for plant and animal life that has adapted superbly to the harsh environment of mountains, vast plains, dunes and dry riverbeds.
Days 11-14 | Etosha National Park & Ongava
We fly back to Doro Nawas airstrip before driving to Ongava Game Reserve on the boundary of Etosha National Park, which remains the highest density wildlife area within Namibia. Our stay here will allow us time to explore both Etosha National Park as well as the Ongava Game Reserve, dining under the stars and watching the very productive waterhole the camp overlooks with the impressive landscape beyond.The tour ends with a final drive back to Windhoek and a sad farewell to your new lifelong friends.
- Starts/Ends: Windhoek to Windhoek
- Operated by: Wilderness Safaris
- Dates: This tour operates all year round on selected dates
- Group size: Min 2, Max 7
- Accommodation Type: luxury tented private camps
- Age restrictions: 12+ and must have basic health/mobility
- 13 nights accommodation
- Full board + local drinks
- Mineral water on safari
- Entrance fees and activities as stated
- All road transfers
- Services of a highly experienced guide
- Take Me To Africa goody bag
- All flights & Visas
- All premium drinks
- Travel insurance
- Pre or post tour accommodation
- Airport transfers
- Gratuities and spending money
- Items of a personal nature